Let’s start with coaching quotes about effort.
- “Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best you are capable of becoming.” – John Wooden
- “Nothing will work unless you do.” – John Wooden
- “The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary.” – Vince Lombardi
- “Let me tell you what winning means…. you’re willing to go longer, work harder, give more than anyone else.” – Vince Lombardi
- “The key is not the will to win. Everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important.” – Bobby Knight
- “Most people get excited about games, but I’ve got to be excited about practice because that’s my classroom.”- Pat Summitt, Basketball
- “Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all-time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.” – Vince Lombardi, American Football”
- “Kids aren’t playing like they used to. It bothers me.” – Jon Gruden
- “Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.” – Bobby Knight
- “Our emphasis is on execution, not winning.” – Pat Summitt
Next, let’s look at coaching quotes about listening.
- “It’s what you learn after you know it all, that counts.”- John Wooden
- “Look, coaching is about human interaction and trying to know your players. Any coach would tell you that. I’m no different.” – Bill Parcells
- “To teach an academic subject is certainly not easy, but compared to coaching, it is. We can say ‘two plus two is four’ to every kid and be sure that we are right. But in coaching, we have to get to the soul of the people we are dealing with.” – Joe Paterno
- “A common mistake among those who work in sport is spending a disproportional amount of time on “x’s and o’s” as compared to time spent learning about people.” – Mike Krzyzewski
Make a Difference Quotes
Now, I’ll share some coaching quotes about making a difference.
- “I think the most important thing about coaching is that you have to have a sense of confidence about what you’re doing. You have to be a salesman and you have to get your players, particularly your leaders, to believe in what you’re trying to accomplish on the basketball floor.” – Phil Jackson
- “I didn’t get into coaching to make money. I got into this for the coaching and teaching part.- Dabo Swinney
- “The key to coaching is love. It’s not knowledge; it’s not discipline. If you love ’em, you can discipline. If you love ’em, you can yell at them and laugh about it later.” – Dabo Swinney
- “I enjoy coaching. I enjoy helping people achieve something.” – Tom Landry
- “I can tell you, I grew up with great coaching, and it had nothing to do with sports. I had great parents. I got some great input from there. They were entrepreneurial, middle-class business people.” – Jerry Jones
- “To be as good as it can be, a team has to buy into what you as the coach are doing. They have to feel you’re a part of them and they’re a part of you.” – Bobby Knight
- “A coach should never be afraid to ask questions of anyone he could learn from.” – Bobby Knight
Coaching Quotes About Coaching
And finally, here are some great quotes about coaching.
- “Coaches have to watch for what they don’t want to see and listen to what they don’t want to hear.” – John Madden
- “Don’t ever ask a player to do something he doesn’t have the ability to do. He’ll just question your ability as a coach, not his as an athlete.” – Lou Holtz
- “A coach is someone who tells you what you don’t want to hear, who has you see what you don’t want to see, so you can be who you have always known you could be.” Tom Landry
- “One of these days when I’m finished coaching, I’ll write an authorized book because there’s only one expert on my life, and guess who that is… me. And there won’t be any misinformation.” – Nick Saban